This week I painted Neil Gaiman’s dog. Yes, that Neil Gaiman. (You know, Coraline, The Graveyard Book, American Gods and so forth….) I know, right?
Here’s how it came to be – an amazing twisted journey that unfolded on the internet. Let’s call it, Six Degrees of Neil Gaiman.
- I read the blog, Sundry Mourning.
- Sundry writes a column with Swistle.
- Swistle mentioned The Bloggess in a post once and I started reading that too. The Bloggess has a dog named Barnaby Jones, who I painted once.
- The Bloggess once posted or tweeted a video, Oasis by singer Amanda Palmer. I bought Who Killed Amanda Palmer on iTunes and started following her on Twitter.
- I painted Amanda Palmer with a horse. Amanda Palmer is dating Neil Gaiman. The Bloggess DM’d Neil Gaiman to show him the painting. He liked it.
- I read Anansi Boys and Coraline and started following @neilhimself on Twitter.
Or at least that’s how I remember it.
Neil Gaiman has a dog named Cabal who is an extraordinarily handsome white sheperd. He often posts photos of Cabal on Twitter and after one such post I replied.
Mind you, Neil Gaiman has about a million and a half followers on Twitter, so I did not expect a reply. But I got one.